Get SWP in Your Inbox
THIS MONTH’S FAVES
GOLDFADEN MD AMBASSADOR
Monthly Archives: December 2012
LOOKING AHEAD TO 2013…
The year has come to a close and I wanted to take a moment to share some of my New Year’s resolutions for 2013. Have you thought about what you’d like to accomplish in 2013? I recently heard something on a documentary called, ‘HAPPY,’ that made me think. They said 40% of someone’s happiness has to do with the leisurely activities they do in their free time. It’s so important for us as people to constantly challenge ourselves to get out of our routine and create newness in our lives. New activities, new hobbies and find new ways to be our best selves. Following are the ways I will be striving in 2013 to be the best Kristen, so that I can only better those around me. Blessings to you all for a wonderful, joyous, 2013.
1. Get creative! The times when I am being creative are probably some of my happiest times. I am striving in 2013 to make better collages, take more creative pictures, and create more beauty through fashion for you all to enjoy.
2. More and more photos - photography is innate in me and I haven’t fully yet explored this outlet of creativity as much as I could. This year I will be taking many many more photos.
3. Dance… I used to dance in college. I plan to take it back up again. This year I’d like to explore more modern dance.
4. Give…Think outside of myself as much as possible and strive to make those close to me happier in any way that I can.
5. More Service - this is a general statement, but super important resolution. I hope to volunteer more, create more opportunities for my clients, and help our clients do even more of the amazing work that they do. See Raven + Lily and Sseko Designs to get an idea of what I’m referring to.
6. Push the fashion limits and create beauty and poetry without words, but with clothes, colors and texture. I.E., Style Wax Poetic .
7. Celebrate – the beautiful, tiny, treasures in life.
8. Practice Gratitude – working with the clients that we do, I have the opportunity to learn about some of the most beautiful cultures in the world. They have next to nothing, yet they want to give you everything, still. We are blessed. We have toilets, clothes, inner and outer beauty, family and friends. I have the opportunity to share my heart and passion with you through Style Wax Poetic. I am grateful, and we must not ever lost that feeling in 2013!
9. Meditate more – I am always my best self when I take time out of my date to mediate and pray. This can be more spiritual reasons or nonspiritual reasons. I think it can be wonderful for everyone, whatever their interests are. More inner peace for all, we all deserve it.
10. Live colorfully! I have a lot of simple colors on my wardrobe, but I love COLOR. This year, I’m going to be more BOLD with my wardrobe. Watch and see..
11. More interviews – In 2013, I plan to dive deeper and find out more behind the scenes of designers, musicians, and photographers. Yay!
12. Rebrand – I will be rebraning very very soon. This will be like a fresh new start of a relationship. From me, to you, with love.
13. Love more openly, to all and to the one who deserves it most.
13. Enjoy the fabulous, beauty, of clothes, creativity and all the things that Style Wax Poetic has brought into my life.
Live, love, enjoy and be fashionable!
Shoes.. it’s all about the shoes! They can make or break an outfit. I’ve been waiting for some of these amazing booties to go on sale before bitting the bullet and making the purchase. The best part about it? They’re about 50% off – big savings and now is definitely the time to buy boots. I thought I’d share so you can score on some of these amazing deals. The first one, these adorable booties for only $30!
ASOSASOS.com (UK)ARROW Point Ankle Boots with Toecap
Was $60, Now $30 – Buy HERE.
BCBGeneration ‘Chazz’ Bootie
Was: $148.95, Now: $89.37; 40% OFF – Buy HERE
Jessica Simpson ‘Khalen’ Boot
Was: $209.95Now: $104.96, 50% OF – Buy HERE
Joe’s ‘Faye’ Leather Ankle Boot
Was: $224.95; Now: $112.47; 50% OFF – Buy HERE
Was $140.00; Now $70.00 – Buy HERE
B Brian Atwood - Fuveau Platform Booties
Was $585.00; FINAL SALE* $175.50 (70% off): Off White – Buy HERE
Pour La Victoire - Volkova Booties
Was $330.00; Now $165.00 (50% off): Emerald, Black – Buy HERE
Modern Vintage Shoes - Allison Chunky Heel Booties
Was $295.00; FINAL SALE* $88.50 (70% off): Sand – Buy HERE
It’s officially winter and Los Angeles was feeling the cold weather this weekend – brrrrr! I’ve been spending a lot of time in doors these days, enjoying the Christmas tree, making dinners and hanging out with friends at the apartment. But when it’s time to get out, the layers are key! I love leather jackets and feel it’s always a great way to incorporate a little ‘rocker chic’ into your outfit. It was freezing and starting to rain but we took a couple snaps in the neighborhood, followed by a delicious cocktail at Messhall and pizza at Little Doms. Quite the perfect day if you ask me! Wishing you all wonderful times with friends, family and more.
It’s not too late to find amazing gifts for Christmas! Skip the malls (please save yourself the headache) and shop local from some of the top boutiques in Los Angeles. Not only will your gifts will be more personalized, you’ll be supporting our local economy. We’ve collected some of our top gorgeous, unique gifts, from progressive jewelry to animal wall art, that will put a smile on any girls face. Most of these are under $100 and will create a lasting impression. Read below and shop on… these stores are open and waiting for you!
Where to find it: 671 S. Cloverdale Ave., Los Angeles, (323) 857-0200. http://www.deskohan.com
Where to find it: In Venice or Los Feliz at 1764 North Vermont Avenue., (323) 300-5990, www.weltenbuerger.org/.
Where to find it: In Venice at 1121 Abbot Kinney Blvd., Venice (800) 913-0071, http://www.aplusrstore.com.
Where to find it: In Venice at 1121 Abbot Kinney Blvd., Venice (800) 913-0071, http://www.aplusrstore.com.
SILENT DAMIR DOMA- Basic Tank Dress in Ashes – $115
Where to find it: Just off Sunset Boulevard at 15306 Antioch St., Pacific Palisades, (310) 230-8882, http://www.forwardbyelysewalker.com.
For the man who loves BOOKS (and James Bond) – The James Bond Archive Limited Edition Hardcover Book – Buy HERE
For the ORGANIZED man – Buy at Lifta Space Organizer – The Space Bar is a simple, elegantly-designed desk accessory that functions to minimize clutter while providing additional USB ports for your computer. After a long day of work, simply slide your keyboard into the designated space below the shelf and store your office miscellany – keys, digital camera, and anything you want.
For the Dog Lover – Dog Bowl – Buy HERE – I mean, normal pet stores just don’t carry anything like it.
For the man who loves SHOES – Fred Perry Driscoll Boots – Buy HERE – not too much to say here, just amazing.
For the man who loves STYLE and COMFORT – ASOS Crew Neck with Elbow Patches – Buy HERE – This shirt is simple enough for the guy who is too cool to like style, yet stylish enough for the girlfriend who wants him too. I love the leather elbow patchwork detail. Style that’s understated!
For the man who loves STYLE – 511™ Skinny Cords in Mustard – Buy HERE – These jeans were worn by a friend of my to the Angeleno party last week and he looked oh-so-stylish! He paired them with a nice black belt, black shoes, button down black shirt and a black jacket. Her German style was impressing all the American ladies!
For the CREATIVE man – Polaroid Z340 Instant Digital Camera – Buy HERE – Sharing photos instantly is as easy as snap and print with the Polaroid Z340 Instant Digital Camera. We love it because it’s old school, unique and who doesn’t love instant photos!
For the man who loves the DETAILS – Perfectly Paired Pencils – Buy HERE – Classic, charming, old school natural wood pencils, engraved in subtle gold with answers are a great gift for any man who loves the little details.
Beautiful new Mt. Wolf remix from Hiatus, two favorites of ours. We did a full music interview before which you may read here.
Mt. Wolf is a four member band based in London, but have been gathering significant attention internationally. Although now city folk, each of them were born by the sea – Kate and Stevie in Guernsey, Bassy in Dorset and Alex in Brighton. This dual experience of living in two different locations play a huge influence on their music, which conjures a dark and isolated but beautiful world.
Hiatus, Cyrus Shahrad, is newer on the scene, launching his debut album ‘Ghost Notes’ in 2010. His blend of of Middle Eastern melancholy and cinematic electronica will leave you relaxed and yearning more. Based out of South London I was happy to discover his dreamlike melodies, I think you will be too. Check out more if his work here – https://soundcloud.com/hiatus.
1. Buy Simlair HERE // 2. Buy HERE - $14.07 // 3. Buy HERE - $79.16 (*Plus 20% until Monday 17th with USXMASSTANDARD) // 4. Buy HERE - $25 + Free Shipping // 5. Buy HERE - $61.75 (*Plus 20% off your entire order with USXMASSTANDARD) // 6. Buy HERE - $14.00-$18.50 // 7. Buy HERE - $10.95 // 8. Buy HERE - $128 // 9. Buy HERE - $45
If you follow my Instagram, you probably have noticed I’m obsessed with these beautiful leaves lately! I love the seasons and it’s nice to know Los Angeles actually does have them, at least a little.
My outfit today was inspired from these lovely printed pants. A bold pant is easy to outfit as the rest of the outfit can be pretty simple (blacks, whites, etc). These pants are one of my recent purchases from the Kelly Wearstler sample sale. If I could, I would shop all year long at sample sales, as I still can’t really believe how well I did. I will be posting more on this to come, but be sure to sign up for Daily Candy for their daily newsletter if you haven’t. They list all the great sales in town!
For the top, I’ve always wanted to try out the the cropped look. A bandeau is a great purchase and you’ll find you use it all the time. Of course you need a jacket or cover-up to wear with it, so I threw on my employees only inspired zipper jacket!
I wouldn’t suggest wearing this out in the day, but for a night time out with your girls or a funky gallery opening, go for it! For a more causal look, this can be paired with a simple t-shirt and wedge booties.
Pants – Kelly Wearstler (Similar here and here) // Bandeau Top – Nordstrom ( Similar Here) // Bomber Jacket – R29 Shops (Similar here) // Chunky Necklace – Kelly Wreastler (Buy here) // Sunnies - William Rast ( Similar Here) // Booties – Pour La Victoire ( Similair HERE)
Isn’t it funny how we’re out shopping for others, yet find so many things we are coveting for our own closets? There are so many things on my wish list this season, but here are just a few of them I’ve stumbled upon over the last month. From home design, to turbans, check out Style Wax Poetic’s list #1 for the season.
1. Heidi Merrick Pillows - I discovered Los Angeles based designer Heidi Merrick at The Grove’s Pop Carts this season. In addition to her amazing RTW collection, I really was impressed with her home collection. From pillows, to throws, to super cute Heidi Merrick dolls, they will all add a touch of design for any home and they support Los Angeles. Buy HERE.
2. Heidi Merrick Pajamas – because you know you’re all lounging in your pajamas this month walking holiday movies. Yes, we love it too! Buy HERE.
3. Heidi Merrick Pillows – because one is not enough. And, they compliment each other! Buy HERE.
4. Claire Vivier Tote – I’ve known about these beautiful bags for a while now, yet haven’t seem to add one to my collection. All of Claire’s bags are chic, elegant, yet fun, like this tote with a bold orange stripe. I just love it. Buy HERE.
5. Wall Mounted Stag Bottle Opener - because it’s just cool AND only 14.99. Buy HERE.
7. ALDO Blue Booties – because I’m obseesed with this color and I’ve been wanting these for so long. Buy HERE.
8. Warby Parker RX – These are so chic! And, if you’re going to wear glasses, you better do it in style. Buy HERE.
9. Books with Style Impact: 50 Years of the Council of Fashion Designers of America – coffee table books are a must for any chic home. Keep them beautiful and interesting, just like these chic pink book covering 50 years of the Council of Fashion Designers of America. Buy HERE.
10. ASOS Chunky Knit Turban – adorable, chic, and a must for winter. This one is less than $20 from ASOS. Buy HERE.
11. Polka Dot iPhone Case – If you read my blog, you know I’m usually not into major labels like this, but I think this case is adorable! And, perfect for the holidays. Buy HERE.
12. ALDO Booties – these are perfect for just about any weekend daytime outfit. Pair them with a dress and tights, or leggings. They’re super cute AND super cheap. Buy HERE.
What’s on your wish list?
It was a rainy day in Los Angeles and it was one of the first times I had a chance to wear my new scarf, compliments of INDIGENOUS. I discovered this eco-fashion, organic and fair trade line just recently and the scarf is so soft, I could almost sleep in it. I’m wearing the Tassle Scarf, which is made in Peru.
We hear the term a lot, but what does Fair Trade really mean? Green gifts are the ultimate opportunity to promote sustainable living and prove that fashion can be as wonderful to the planet as it is to wear. When shopping holiday, it’s important to think that maybe your gift can change someone’s mind and help them appreciate the beauties of organic and Fair Trade Eco Fashion!
I’m also wearing new dress by Kelly Wreastler that I scored at her holiday sample sale this season.
I hope everyone is having a great holiday season so far!
Hugs and kisses.
Photography by Soul Of Photogrpahy