Get SWP in Your Inbox
THIS MONTH’S FAVES
GOLDFADEN MD AMBASSADOR
Category Archives: BEAUTIFY YOUR LIFE
Every year that passes, we get a little bit wiser and pick up a few new tricks along the way. As women, we pretty much love this. New products, new tips for beauty, we’re addicted. I love time with my girlfriends because it’s great to swap secrets and learn about things they’re loving that we should adopt into our own lives. In this post, I want to share a few tips and products I’ve come across in 2013, that I will definitely be using in my 2014 beauty routine.
1. Goldfaden MD Scrub – If you read my blog, you may already know I’m OBSESSED with this scrub. I became so into this line and the wonderful ladies behind it, I became an ambassador! In no way does that mean that I share their products with you only because I’m an ambassador. I truly bring you only opinions of my own. This scrub is a must-have for anyone at any age. What I love about it is the smell, the fine ruby crystals that feel so great on your face and the fact it can be used daily. It’s formulated with line-filling Hyaluronic Acid and Seaweed and Organic Red Tea Extract which provide antioxidant protection. Think of a scrub as clearing away all the bad stuff making room for good product to get in – super important! It’s $75 dollars but it will last you a while (maybe 2 months). You can also take 15% off with discount code StyleWaxPoetic. Shop it here.
2. Fruit Infused Water – if you’re like me, drinking water doesn’t come easy. And yes, we all know how important for skin and our health so I don’t have to waste time there. The solution? Fruit infused water. Seriously, it’s the best. It’s the easiest thing to make, is sugar free, and it’s delicious! You’ll need a pitcher or cold beverage jar, fruit and herbs of your choice (I love mint and cucumber, or mint and orange) and purified water. They say 8 glasses of water a day which to me is tough, but I swear it makes the biggest difference in your energy, eating habits and skin.
3. Coconut Oil – the winter months are cold and dry; using a heater only makes the air worse. I’m sure you’ve noticed a difference in your hand and skin. The solution? Simple, all natural Coconut Oil. The benefits for your hair and nails are extensive and a tiny bit goes a long way. It’s fatty acids soften hair and it will help fight frizz. For skin, the fatty acids help lock in moisture in the skin. Other uses? Try it as a lip moisturizer or even use it to take off makeup at night! Plain and simple, you’ll want to keep some coconut oil in every room in your house.
What are some of your beauty routine tips for 2014? Wishing you a great start to the new year, friends!
You May Also Like...
As a blogger, we have the opportunity to attend tons of fabulous events and I’m excited to share one with you happening this month in Santa Monica. You’re invited to celebrate the Grand Re-Opening of L’OCCITANE’s 3rd Street Promenade Boutique. In honor of the special occasion, Crème de la Crème will pay homage to the brand’s birthplace by serving Provençal inspired cocktails (with any $25 purchase) and hour d’oeuvres.
The revamped flagship-style boutique offers a stunning French soap station along with hand cream bars and facial areas where consumers will be invited to indulge in signature L’OCCITANE beauty rituals such as; mini facials, hand massages and fragrance layerings. Customers may also enjoy an exclusive discount of 15% off any purchase of $25 or more.
GIVEAWAY: If you don’t live in Los Angeles, don’t worry. I’ve partnered with L’OCCITANE to offer SWP readers a chance to win L‘OCCITANE’s new Limited Edition Shea October. All you have to do is follow SWP on Instagram @stylewaxpoetic and comment below letting me know you entered. Good luck!
WHERE: L’OCCITANE Boutique
3rd Street Promenade
(Between Arizona & Wilshire)
Santa Monica, CA 90401
WHY: Celebrating the Grand Re-Opening of L’OCCITANE’s 3rd Street Promenade Boutique
WHEN: Thursday, November 14th 5:15PM-8:30PM
You May Also Like...
Did you know, most of the items you need for your beauty routine can be found in your kitchen? As a beauty blogger, I’ve started to change the way I think about what I put on my skin and I’m learning more daily. I will always remember my time with the ladies behind Peacock Apothecary. They taught me to look at beauty items the same way I’d look at my food – who wants something that can sit on the shelf for years? They make all of their products to order and they reminded me of how simple some products can be to make at home. Like this sugar scrub! If you haven’t made one yet, it’s time! It’s really easy, I promise.
SO, all that you’ll need, is a few ingredients – you probably already have them, which is the amazing thing.
Brown Sugar - a great gentle exfoliater.
Honey – an anti-bacterial and helps the skin retain moisture.
Oil – I used olive oil because that’s all I had, but you can use any variety of oil. Next, I will be trying coconut oil, which is great for skin, hair and nails.
Lemon – their antibacterial and antifungal properties make them a natural alternative to treat acne. Simply slice open a lemon and rub it across your face.
- Add 2 parts sugar to 1 part oil to a jar or a bowl
- Add 2 tablespoons honey
- Squeeze in a fair amount of lemon
- Mix all ingredients and enjoy!
- Make sure to keep it in a air tight sealed container
Here are a few combinations I can’t wait to try via Wellness Mama.
- Pumpkin Pie Scrub: 1 cup of brown sugar, 1/2 cup coconut oil, 1/2 tsp vitamin E oil and 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spices (or just 1/2 tsp cinnamon)
- Vanilla Brown Sugar Scrub: 1 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup almond oil, 1/2 tsp Vitamin E oil and 1 tsp real vanilla extract
- Lemon Hand Scrub (for after washing dishes): 1 cup white sugar, 1/2 cup olive oil, 1/2 tsp vitamin E oil, 15-20 drops (or more) of lemon or orange essential oil
- Vanilla Lavender Relaxing Facial Scrub: 1 cup white sugar, 1/2 cup almond oil, 1/2 tsp Vitamin E oil, 1/2 tsp real vanilla extract and 15 drops lavender essential oil
Will you be making you’re own sugar scrub? Let me know which one is your favorite!
You May Also Like...
I’m excited to share with you that I’m officially a Daily Scrubber for GOLDFADEN MD, the first physician strength, dermatologist developed, natural skincare line in the industry. Their products are highly efficacious, non-prescription skincare solutions that utilize state-of-the-art technologies with active plant cells and anti-oxidant rich botanicals. Think of it as close as you get get to prescription strength, but naturally inspired.
Dr. Goldfadden has gone through extremes of lifestyles, which I like. He’s learned that a healthy lifestyle means eating right and taking care of your body naturally, in combination with great products. I love his approach and consideration to natural remedies and foods, not just traditional medicine. This philosophy translates to his products.
As a beauty and fashion blogger, I get to test A LOT of products and I’ve started to learn so much. For one, don’t trust a product if a celebrity is attached to it. If anything, I’ve learned to lean away from those types of lines. They aren’t chemists and a lot of time have NO clue what the products they’re promoting are made of. One beauty expert I know went through almost everything in my bathroom cabinet and I was surprised to find that most she wouldn’t put on her face. One had a form of petrolyom in it – really, gasoline on your face?
GOLDFADEN MD’s ingredients are clear and formulated with naturally inspired products. Their first ingredient is “purified water” and if you start to pay attention, you’ll be shocked on how many lines use tap water. Another reason I love GOLDFADDEN, is that they’re carried in Space NK Apothecary. Anyone in the industry knows it’s really tough to be carried there, and they only carry the “best of the best.” Lastly, I love what they stand for. They realize that for anyone to look great, it’s important to live a healthy lifestyle – i.e. eat right, drink water, wear sunscreen and sleep! The women behind the brand are amazing and truly life GOLDFADDEN’s mission statement.
SO, where can you find us scrubbers? I’ll be writing HERE on their blog every so often, talking about everything from life, a healthy lifestyle, fashion and beauty. I’ll also be sharing my reviews of their products! I can’t wait to tell you about them, two I’m already hooked on and use daily. Lastly, I’ll be sharing with you all a discount to their products, which I’m so excited for you all to try. What are you most interested in learning about when it comes to skincare?
Wishing you all a great night! XO
You May Also Like...
If you’re the typical girl, you probably wear the same look day in and day out, right?! Trust me, I know. We know what works and we stick to it, BUT, sometimes “safe” is not always the best way to go. I love this image from Jason Wu’s runway show. Here’s how-to get the look.
CREATE THE LOOK
- SKIN: a good makeup look starts with great skin. Get on daily regime of plenty of water and a great exfolent to get her glow! I love Goldfaden MD’s. It contains powerful ruby crystals that provide immediate cell renewal by polishing away dead surface cells. It feels so great on your skin and a dab goes a LONG way.
- EYES: with her green eyes and blonde hair, there’s nothing like a purple shadow to make an eye pop. Hers is done in a subtle way. Try this Duo Eye Shadow from NARS. It offers two shades of purple so you can get the shade you desire.
- EYELINER: you may not be able to tell from the purple shadow, but she is wearing eyeliner and it will help enhance the eye to pop. Lately I’ve been obsessed with Lorac’s Cream Eyeliner. It feels great on, the color pigments unique with a touch of gold and the brush is really easy to work with.
- CHEEK & LIP – because you’re going so bold on the eye, keep your cheek and lip fairly natural and matte. I love NARS’ blushes and a good nude lip.
You May Also Like...
Today, I wanted to talk it little bit about Fall 2013 hair trends and which ones we should actually look to incorporate into our daily routine. Lately, I’ve been bored of the same ol’ hair dos and I’m needing inspiration to actually do something fun with my hair! Enter this post. I hope that this gives you some fun ideas to get creative.
WHAT: Voluminous curls hairstyle is one of the best hair trends for fall 2013.
HOW TO DO IT: The stylist pin-curled models’ hair, allowed the shape to set, then back-brushed through each spiral with a boar bristle brush.
WHEN TO TRY IT: when you’re feeling bold and have a fashionable, chic outfit on. Definitely a nighttime look!
WHAT: The easiest, chic way to look put together without much effort. They’re feminine, not fussy.
HOW TO: You want texture—so if you’re hair isn’t naturally beachy, start with it damp, add a bit of salt spray to your roots—we’re using Lavett & Chin’s Original Sea Salt Texturizing Mist—and run your fingers through your hair. The salt spray is going to hold your hair together while it’s up. You can even add tousled separation to a blowout with salt spray, but the less brush and comb use, the better.
“For a top knot or a bun in the middle of your head, flip your head over to put it into a ponytail. You never want that droopy, matronly hair at the nape of the neck. To achieve a sexy ‘tomboy bun,’ keep the hair under your ponytail tight. So while you’ve got your head flipped, push your hair up, up, up. If you need to, spray a little sea salt onto your hand, and then push your hair into the elastic. Once secured, twist your hair around the ponytail and secure it with bobby pins. <source>
WHEN TO WEAR IT: almost anytime!
HOW: The low pony is back for another season! Sleek, sexy or left a little undone, no is complaining about this trend. It looks great with a side part and if you’re hair is long, bring it the front of your body.
HOW TO: it’s pretty straight forward, but there are tons of ways to wear the pony.
WHEN TO WEAR IT: another look that can be done anytime, anywhere.
Image Source (Show Pony)
You May Also Like...
Last week, I caught up with Avon’s Global Celebrity Makeup Artist, Lauren Andersen. With an A-list client list including Jessica Alba, Kate Beckinsale, Reese Witherspoon, Mindy Kaling, Kat Dennings and Bar Rafaeli, I knew she’d have some amazing tips and products to share with us.
Lauren discovered her love of makeup as a child in Los Angeles, where she grew up closely watching her mother’s beauty rituals. Funny enough, her mom was actually an Avon representative. Lauren explained, “it was great to see my love for makeup swing back in a full circle,” of now being AVON’s celebrity artist. After years of watching her mother, she decided to pursue a career of her own. Her beauty philosophy is founded on the idea that makeup should evoke a sense of beauty and confidence, whether she creates a natural, translucent look or a smoky, dramatic effect.
I asked Lauren about some of her favorite AVON products and here’s what she recommended:
True Color Lipstick - “I love a vibrant smile, bold colors and now AVON has 55 new shades that are only $8 dollars each. AVON’s new technology (true color tech) helps obtain a rich, vibrant color, all starting from a clear pigment which give them all the control they need. They have shea butter and B vitamins, so they’re moisturizing and long lasting.”
AVON’s New Mascara– “I love its new wand for applying mascara. It’s seriously one of the best. It’ super bendy and instead of going in from the side you go from under and you’re able to distribute a lot of product.”
New Eye-shadow QUADS – each eye shadow is numbered so you don’t have to be an expert, simply follow numbers on where to put the shadows.
Tricks of the trade…
I wanted to know, after doing makeup for so long, what were some secrets that she recommends to the average makeup user. She had some great ones:
- Start on your eyeshadow first. When doing a smokey eye, your shadow will most likely fall on your cheek and ruin your foundation. Start with your eyes then move to your face.
- The smudge mascara problem ever girl faces! Lauren says, “what girls don’t know is that instead of wiping it off right away and smudging it, you should let your mascara dry and it will flake off without ruining your entire eyelid.”
Fall beauty looks!
Lauren told SWP she’s really excited to see a resurgences of 90s beauty trends. “Saint Laurent’s runway show was so inspiring with dark lips, matte textures and that overall grunge chic. For eyes, I’m loving the metallic comeback – golds, coppers, pueters, pinks, blues, greens and plums. Also, really bold eyeliners.”
On working with celebs…
“Jessica Alba is great – such a beautiful face and wonderful to work with. Jennifer Goodwin is really adventurous in makeup and a lot of fun. Nicole Richie has a lot of space on her eyelid so it’s fun to do do her makeup. James King has face that can adapt and wear certain looks that others can’t so it’s really great to get adventurous with her.
AVON has partnered with SWP on a great giveaway, offering one lucky reader a chance to win two of Lauren’s favorite lipsticks of choice and a eyeshadow quad (you get to chose the shades!) Simply sign up for SWP’s newsletter (to the right of this page –>>) and “Like” SWP on Facebook here. Let me know you entered by commenting on this post with your email – the winner will be chosen by AVON in two weeks! Good luck!
You May Also Like...
I’m excited to announce an exciting giveaway on SWP! Would you like to know what it feels like to be a beauty and fashion blogger for the night? Let’s hang out and attend City Cosmetics VIP press event on August, 22nd in Los Angeles. Come see why True Blood’s Kristina Anapau calls City Cosmetics products “magic in a tube” and are must-haves for celebs Teri Hatcher, Fergie, Vivica Fox, Paris Hilton, and many more! Enjoy signature cocktails from the open bar and a VIP beauty bag with a retail value of over $300 that’s filled with top products while learning about the benefits of City Cosmetics’ new Dragon’s Blood Beauty Elixir. If you don’t live in Los Angeles, you can still win a prize package – a super sweet deal if you ask me.
You must be 21 or older – US only. Giveaway winner will be picked on August 15, 2013 and will be alerted the same day. By entering, you agree to the official rules.
Press samples have been provided for this purpose. Opinions are the author’s own. Article may contain affiliate links.
You May Also Like...
Living in Los Angeles has it’s perks. From the city and the mountains to the beach, I’d say we pretty much have it all. From time to time, I come across the some of the best things that Los Angeles has to offer and I love to share them with you so you can make sure to check it out when you’re here. Today, I’m highlighting the Vered Salon, specializing in hair extensions, cut, color, blow-drys and more.
I’ve had a variety of services done here and hair extensions is one of them. The amazing Vered, whose client roster includes Nicole Richie, Paris Hilton, Nicki Hilton and more, has helped me beautify my life with Hair Dream extensions, the leading extensions in the market. I’ve had both the Hair Dreams Quikkies and the Hair Dreams Bonding (Vered can help you decide what’s best for your hair and budget.) She told me, “It’s the easiest way to make yourself feel like you’ve had work done, without having work done” It was true. I left her salon feeling like a new person and my appearance and confidence was instantly improved. During my most recent visit, Vered was working on a client who had flown in for the day from New York, just to get her extensions done by Vered. She is that lovely and talented that her customers fly across the country to see her! Very impressive.
I’d also highly recommend the salon for cuts, color and everything in between. Have you ever tried to make a last minute appointment at DryBar only to find out their completely booked for the day? That’s happened to me many, many times. Vered Salon is right down the street and offers personalized attention to your hair, all for the same price. They brought my hair back to life with a mixture of a deep conditioning treatment by Morrocan Oil and a rare essentials oil that my hair soaked up instantly.
They know what works and will make sure you leave with silky, sultry, beautiful hair. Their new location is located in the Sunset Plaza, with internationally renouned shopping within walking distance. Stop by Sushi Park (in the same center) after your hair appointment and you’ll be sure to have a celebrity run in.
We celebrated the new location a few months ago with an event with some of the top tastemakers and bloggers in the area. Watch the video below to check it out.
To make an appointment, call or email them at: 310-659-3030 //email@example.com. Read more at Veredsalon.com
Images via Vered Salon and Gilt City
You May Also Like...
I had the pleasure of trying out these two products from L’Occitane before they hit the market place and they were truly fantastic. Their Essence Sublime is essentially a primer that not only prepares your face for your foundation (or beauty cream), it also has anti-aging benefits (yay!). It smells great and feels soooo good on your skin. You will notice a smoother overall appearance. Their Sublime Beauty Cream is essentially a BB Cream, which I’m sure you’ve tried a few by now. I have too and so far, it’s my favorite. It does have a great coverage and I like that it offers 30 SPF instead of 15 or 20SPF. I love it because I try to keep my routine as fast as possible. This cuts down the step of a moisturizer, foundation/powder into just one-step application.
Check on the video I did about HERE..
More style and beauty …